Summary: Could the incarnation not have happened? ‘
If the answer is yes, then how would that impact our faith? The Incarnation not happening is scenario worth entertaining because it might reveal something to us about God’s character. What if Jesus had stayed in heaven and not come to earth? So I began to consider other possibilities and alternate plans.
Full Facebook Live Service
In the beginning was the Word, in the end will be the image, repaired and renewed in each one of us to the soundtrack of Holy, Holy Holy.
Prayer: Heavenly Father, you understand us, you are with us and among us. You have given us a fresh word. We need it and we embrace John 1 and all of its nuanced meanings for 21st Century living. The incarnation is a constant reminder that we are called to journey toward Christ-likeness. Your life here on earth was a visual cue to what we should become and how we should live. As we eat of your body and drink of your blood, make us people of the Incarnation. May we bear the image of Christ in all that we do and say and be the hands and feet of Jesus to everyone we meet. Amen
Study Guide (Download PDF)
What if the Incarnation didn’t happen? How else could God have done it? What other options existed?
- Send more prophets
- Send an Angel
- Give more scripture
- Use a good man (or woman)
- Zap people
- Fill-in the blank with your own imagination __________________
But the Incarnation did happen! John 1:1 & John 1:14
Why does the Incarnation matter to us?
- The Incarnation is a reminder that God is with us. How was God with you in 2020? How do you anticipate God will be with you in 2021?
- The Incarnation is an invitation to become more like Christ. How are you becoming more like Christ? If 2020 has been a stall-out year and you feel you are sputtering along, what concrete steps can be taken to get back on track?
- The Incarnation is important because it is futuristic. Great beginnings (John 1:1) anticipate great endings. When we see Jesus, it will all be worth it. Look up 1 John 3:2. Hope is here and help is on the way!
- Where are you struggling to find hope?
- How is your faith “forward looking” and futuristic?
- How do you reflect on 2020 and the faithfulness of God?
- In what way has the Incarnation enriched your faith?
Conclusion:The Incarnation gives us a visual cue as to what our lives should be about. Becoming more like Jesus is our aim and hope. As we reflect more of Jesus, we can be the hands and feet of our Lord to the hurting world. Who will you be Jesus to in 2021? How will reflect the image of Jesus to the people around you?