Summary: I used to have an 8th grade student who was so unbearably cute, yet at the same time so unspeakably sad. She was a tiny thing, and would come up to me several times during a class period and stand as close to me as she possibly could and look straight up into my face, show me her work and ask, “Is this okay?” She was a bright person and a good student, but no matter how many times I tried to assure her or redirect her or just affirmed that she was on the right track, it was never enough. Her wistful face is still with me after all these years.
What was it about her? She so very desperately wanted to know that she was okay. For whatever reason, no one she cared about could do that for her. I wonder how she is today, and if she has ever found that peace she needed. Today is the day we traditionally celebrate LOVE and affirmation, but what if we have part of it or all of it wrong? What if we have messed it up, as we so frequently do, by making it all about US?
Scripture: 2 Corinthians 1:18-22
Full Service Video
Pastor Paul is reminding these dear people that the troubles they are having do not define them. But God will USE them! Use those troubles to make them closer to God and stronger in their faith. AND THEN those troubles will strengthen OTHERS.
Study Guide (Download PDF)
- What does it mean that Jesus is the “Yes” of God’s promise to us?
- How does that personally affect you?
- Corinth was the commercial center of that region—what do the three trading metaphors in 1:22 indicate that Jesus has done for us?
- How do you plan to affirm God’s love for you this week?
- How can you plan to affirm someone else this coming week?